Daniel 9:24 “Seventy weeks have been decreed for your people and your holy city, to finish the transgression, to make an end of sin, to make atonement for iniquity, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most holy place,” (New American Standard Bible).
We have broken Daniel 9:24 into six separate parts, for ease of analysis:
“Seventy weeks have been decreed for your people and your Holy City, to
- Finish the transgression,
- Make an end of sin,
- Make atonement for iniquity,
- Bring in everlasting righteousness,
- Seal up vision and prophecy,
- Anoint the Most Holy Place. “
(New American Standard Bible)
Daniel 9:24 therefore is a prophecy that the Messiah will anoint the “the Most Holy Place” of the Ark of the Covenant, with His Blood. The Bible is here referring to the Mercy Seat of the Ark of the Covenant.
The anointing of the Mercy Seat of the Ark of the Covenant by the Blood of Jesus Christ, is prophesied in Daniel 9:24, and was fulfilled by Jesus Christ, as we shall see.
Unfortunately, most versions of the Bible translate the Hebrew words “quaadaashiym qodesh” in Daniel 9:24 as “most holy.” This has been widely interpreted as the anointing of the Person of the Messiah. This is incorrect.
Strong’s Definitions of the two Hebrew words “quaadaashiym qodesh.”
“Quaadaashiym”: Strong’s definition (6942) is translated “to be ceremonially or morally clean”.
“Qodesh”: Strong’s definition (6944) is translated “a sacred place or thing.
- The two words directly translated from the Hebrew mean “the Most Holy” and “Most Holy Place.”
- The two words together mean “the Most Holy, Most Holy Place.”
- The two words are used elsewhere in the Old Testament and always refer to a place, and never to a person.
- The words refer therefore to “The Most Holy Place”, which we now refer to as “The Holy of Holies” or to “The furniture in the Most Holy place”.
- The most important piece of furniture in the Holy of Holies, and the furniture that was to be anointed by the Blood of the Messiah, was the Mercy Seat of the Ark of the Covenant.