Because of the Second Law of Thermodynamics, the Earth is slowing down. In fact the whole Universe is slowing down. The Earth is spinning at approximately 1000 miles per hour at the equator, but it is slowing down. The Earth is slowing down at a rate of 1/1000 second per day.
Regular clocks use days as a measure, which are growing longer by a thousandth of a second or more daily as Earth’s rotation slows down.
According to Astronomy Magazine, June 1992, p 24, “The Earth’s Rotation is slowing down. To compensate for this lagging motion, June will be one second longer than normal. This ‘Leap Second’ announced by the International Earth Rotation Service in February, will keep calendar time in close alignment with international time.”
Addition of Leap Seconds
To allow for the slowing of the Earth, leap seconds are added to the international cosmic clocks every 18 months. The following are the past Leap Seconds recorded by the International Earth Rotation Service:
Leap seconds are added approximately every 18 months.
If the Earth is only 6,000 years old, as the Bible says, there is no problem:
- In the time of Adam the Earth was spinning slightly faster.
- The 24 hour day would have elapsed slightly faster, but the difference would not be noticeable.
- This may explain why the Babylonians had a 360 day year, instead of our current 365 day year.
If the Earth is billions of years old, as the Evolutionists claim, this would pose enormous problems
- The Earth would have been spinning much faster.
- The 24 hour days would have been compressed into a few seconds only.
- The Centrifugal Force would be a major problem.
- Centrifugal force is that force that tends to maintain the direction of a moving object in the direction of its current movement.
- If the Earth was billions of years old the Centrifugal force would be so high that everything and everyone would actually fly into space!
- The winds would have been 5,000 miles per hour, due to the Coriolis Effect.
- If the dinosaurs lived 200 million years ago they would have been blown away from the Earth!