1. JOIN A CHURCH OF BIBLE BELIEVING CHRISTIANS
There are many Bible believing Christians all over the world. Not all churches believe that the Bible is the supernatural word of God, and do not interpret the Bible literally! Jesus did! Great care needs to be taken in choosing the right church!
This is very important, since you will rapidly find that, as a born again Christian, you are in a minority group! The Bible does encourage believers to meet together regularly (see Hebrews 10:25).
Please ask the Holy Spirit to help you, because your choice of church is extremely important. Also ask the advice of local believers.
Here are some things to look for in finding the right church for you.
A church that places the authority of the Bible above everything else
This is NOT an easy thing to discern! You do need help on this! A good test would be to try to discover where the proposed church stands doctrinally on:
- The Supernatural Inspiration of the Bible.
- The Trinity: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
- The existence of Satan.
- The Resurrection of Jesus Christ.
- The existence of Heaven and Hell.
- The Creation by God of the entire Universe.
- Jesus Christ’s requirement for us to be born again.
- Believer’s Baptism in water.
- The Baptism of the Holy Spirit.
- The Second Coming of Jesus Christ.
- Regular plans for evangelism.
- A desire to support the poor and needy in the world.
- The place of Israel in God’s purposes.
- Sex outside marriage.
The Bible is perfectly clear on all of these issues, but there are large number of churches that interpret the Bible in a different way. For example, the Bible is very clear about sex outside marriage, but many churches avoid discussing this, for fear of upsetting people.
Other excellent qualities, consistent with New Testament teachings, are:
- A welcoming church.
- A church that provides good Bible based teaching.
- A church that has a number of leaders, rather than one.
- A church that has absolute integrity in all financial matters, including the publication of annual accounts. You may be giving money to the church, so it will be helpful for you to know where this money is going to.
Here are some things that are much less important.
- The church building: The churches in the book of Acts met in homes! The church is the people, not the building. There is nothing wrong in nice buildings, but these are unimportant to God.
- Special clothing for leaders of the church. Of course it is respectful to God to be appropriately dressed, but special clothing is unimportant.
Here are some things to avoid at all costs:
- A church that does not believe in the absolute authority of the Bible.
- A church that teaches from anything other than the Bible, or Bible inspired texts.
- A church where leaders exert undue control of the lives of individuals within the church.
- Any lack of financial integrity within the church.
2. READ THE BIBLE EVERY DAY
This is one way God speaks to us. The Bible is not a simple book, and it will take you a lifetime to fully understand all the teachings within the Scriptures. However, regular Bible reading, or listening to the Bible, is essential. God will often highlight verses within the Bible to speak into your circumstances directly.
3. LISTEN VERY CAREFULLY TO YOUR CONSCIENCE
Your conscience is God guiding you every day, and is an extremely important part of your “guidance system”. Your conscience is not a loud voice, but is usually a very gentle voice. This is why it is so important to spend time quietly every day. If you have doubts about a certain action, do not ignore your conscience. Our Heavenly Father is a loving Father, who is warning you not to go down a particular planned course of action.
4. PRAY REGULARLY, ASKING GOD’S GUIDANCE FOR ALL MATTERS IN YOUR LIFE
The Bible states, “In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and depart from evil” Proverbs 3:6-7.
5. TRY NOT TO SIN IN ANY AREA OF YOUR LIFE
We live in such a sinful society that many things that the world considers completely normal, are actually very sinful. It will probably take some time before you have sorted your life out!
6. HAVE REGULAR BIBLE TEACHING
Regular Bible teaching is extremely important. Under Resources towards the end of this book we have given Bible teachers who have inspired us. Fortunately, there are many excellent Bible teachers, and you will probably quickly find your own favourites.
7. SEEK TO SPEAK TO OTHERS ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF BECOMING A CHRISTIAN.
You may have seen the film Schindler’s List, the harrowing true story of how Oskar Schindler, a German businessman, who saved over a thousand Jews from almost certain death in concentration camps in World War 2.
It is important to realise that Salvation is a very precious gift, bought by Jesus Christ at enormous cost. Only those who are born again will go to Heaven (see John 3:3 and John 3:7). Everyone else will not, according to Jesus Christ.
Born again Christians are charged by Jesus Christ to ‘Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit,’ (Matthew 28:19.)
You may like to have a look at our teaching EVANGELISM IS EASY, on this web site.
CONGRATULATIONS AT BECOMING A GENUINE BORN AGAIN BELIEVER IN JESUS CHRIST!
Congratulations on becoming a genuine born again Christian!
The most important decision anyone can make in their lives is to become born again, and become a follower Jesus Christ.
If you have just prayed that prayer as a result of reading this book, why not contact us immediately! We would love to hear from you. Please e-mail or write.
God bless you!
With warmest wishes,